Cute Polka Dotted Blue Bow Tie Ribbon

EVALUATION - SKILLS DEVELOPMENT

How did your production skills develop throughout this project?

Here is a summary of the development of my skills since the start of the project in October 2016 to the end of the project on February 2017
Codes and Conventions
At the start of the project I was relatively unaware of the actual definition and conventions of thriller films. After extensive research in class such as analysing sub genres, my knowledge about thrillers became more defined and this allowed me to identify the sub genre of our film opening : a Psychological thriller. In addition to class time research, I used my free time to watch several other psychological thriller films such as Silence of the lambs, A Cure for wellness, Shutter Island, Zodiac and Lights Out. This gave me a clear idea of what audiences would expect from thriller films and solidify my understanding for codes and conventions of psychological thrillers.
Planning & Organisation
I believe that am not a very organised person and this is a characteristic that I find difficult to improve and change. However, I have tried very hard to meet deadlines throughout this project and manage my workload by trying to constantly update my blog whenever we decide on changes or ideas throughout our project. We had a well planned out script and storyboard since the start of the project, which was extremely helpful and having a guide made it easier for me to work on the next steps leading to completion of our film opening. Unlike other classmates however, I did not find time to create a schedule for all the tasks that needed to be completed and mostly went with the flow of the project. Planning and Organisation is a skill that I will need to work on.
Camera Work
This is no doubt my weakest attribute when it comes to media production. Since the start of the project, I have not been very familiar with handling the camera and finding the best ways to make shots look professional and meaningful. However I did know the basics of the functions such as recording a video and simple switching of modes. Because I was playing the antagonist during filming, I did not get to interact with the camera directly and film very much except for some experimental scenes such as the peephole zoom and the collage board pan.

Visual FX

In my opinion visual effects is extremely important to thriller films as it helps to build tension and emphasise mood. I was relatively confident in the use of visual FX due to the smaller projects such as the 1 minute short film and crime thriller conventional clip done before the start of our film opening. I had plenty of practice with colour correction and effects such as vignette and I learnt how to manipulate the overall look of the scenes to create a sense of unease for the audience. However, I was careful to not overdo it in our film opening to keep it looking professional with subtle effects.

Editing
Editing is a skill that I am most confident in. For me it is the part of the project that I found easiest to do without much complications. Organising clips in order and creating a fitting sequence to the music was straightforward when working with my team I feel that my editing skills has improved by a lot as I was able to practice my editing skills sufficiently during this project.

Creative confidence

Since I have always enjoyed watching movies, reading books and other creative pieces I did not find coming up with ideas very difficult but this project has helped to develop my creative confidence immensely as there were many brainstorming sessions with my teammates that allowed me to stretch my thoughts for interesting propositions. Me Prima, and Eye were extremely compatible when it came to similar ideas and working in this project with them has made me become a quick thinker full of creative visions and suggestions for media products.

No comments:

Post a Comment